UPS Refuse to honor Claim-Surprise!
UPS Claims Dispute
Package was picked up by UPS at my home 2/15/13 (Friday) in Delaware
The item was wrapped and taped with card board, forming an inner box around the item, then $20.00 worth of bubble wrap was wrapped around that, and then it was placed in a box. The box was not only taped closed at seams but several runs of packaging tape was used to tape in all directions to keep package secure.
If the packaging wasn’t adequate the driver should have said so.
Item is delivered 2/22/13 (Friday) in California
Packaged received at destination after delays by UPS stating address was wrong, which it was not. Receiver calls the evening of delivery and states that the item is broken. I request he take pictures and send, which he does immediately.
The following day the claim is filed with UPS 2/23/13 (Saturday). I am told by UPS representative that UPS will either, (1) Inspect the damage at receivers home, or (2) Pick up package and take it to UPS station for inspection, and then I would be contacted.
Feb 23 I receive an unknown $12.00 charge from UPS in email
March 2nd I receive an unknown $4.62 charge from UPS in email
After numerous (6-8) calls to UPS I am finally told the item is on its way back to me. I inquire about the claim/inspection and am told it has not been inspected.
March 9th I receive a $91.25 charge from UPS in email (return shipping from California to Delaware).
Additional calls are placed and confusion still continues on the part of UPS as to what is going on with this, like the call I received from the Delaware UPS station asking if this package was suppose too be coming to me or going to California?
And still no answer regarding the claim.
Finally on 3/15/13 (Friday) I receive a voice mail from UPS stating that the claim is denied because of improper packaging.
Through the tracking number I see the package is scheduled for delivery on 3/18/13 (Monday). It does not arrive until 3/20/13 (Wednesday).
The delivering driver is the same driver that picked up on 2/15/13. The box doesn’t resemble a box, but looks more like a ball of cardboard and tape. Looking at my expression the driver was curious and asked something like “what is going on with this”? I told him the long story as he shook his head throughout. I also told him that the claim was denied which he said was “normal”. I explained the damage, a metal cover that was broken and he stated that in order for that to have happened the box must have been dropped. I asked if he remembered picking up the package on 2/15/13 and he stated that he did, and that it was a late pickup (5pm) and that UPS had sent two trucks to pick up. Yes, he remembered right, because as he was loading the box in his truck that night another UPS truck pulled up. I asked what he thought of the packaging when he picked it up and he stated that “it seemed fine”.
Upon my inspection, some of my original packaging materials are not present.
So in total about 5 weeks for UPS to handle this from start to finish.
As for the damaged item, a replacement cover is probably about $100. If UPS had inspected in California like they said they were going to do and contacted me I could have given the buyer the $100 for a new cover and story over.
In addition to all this, since the item was an eBay transaction, and with all of the delay, which I was faulted for, the buyer filed a formal complaint against me with both eBay and PayPal. PayPal decided in the buyers favor, refunded him and back charged my account the selling price and shipping fees, a total of $1053.00.
And of course my reputation as a seller on eBay has been tarnished.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Insurance Claim
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I attached the detailed tracking log as well as a picture of the received package. As you can see they didn't even notice something was wrong after going back and..."
- "Today as I returned home from grocery shopping a RUDE UPS driver was blocking my space (which CLEARLY had my apartment # on it) as well as other parking spaces...."
- "I was expecting 4 packages delivered by UPS today. We stayed home all day waiting for them. Daylight came and went and no packages, so I checked my..."
- "I went to sunoco on sheridan dr and military rd as usually do 2 minutes from my house ,to get breakfast coffe etc i had my 2 yr old with..."
- "I purchased a 9 in tablet in june of 2016. When received it would not connect bluetooth whith mine or my wifes phones. Was sent another and it worked flawlessly..."
- "MEMPHIS TN SHELBY COUNTY...............Extended Arms Cleaning Contractor's ....Nancy Taylor it's a crime to online harass make FALSE claims call or in anyway directly or in directly try to contact myself..."
- "Sarah travel is a once-in-a-lifetime experience with exceptional Hotel breakfast in Mekka and Medinawith outstanding tours of both cities in your hotel is right near the Masjid nabawi can your..."
- "I hate hate hate kirby! They are worthless.. I bought the Sentria and have had nothing but problems since day 1. I have been trying to call the people whom..."
- "House of Labels by LOL that is owned by Reality star Brittish Williams from BBWLA. She has an online boutique she gets most of her customers from IG. When you..."