1.5
Insurance Quality
Tracking Tool
Turnaround Time

This was my first experience using UPS to ship a large heavy item and it will be my absolute LAST. First my husband called to describe what we were shipping and get advice on how we could package it. They told him that because it was a heavy cast iron piece, we could simply strap it to a pallet and cover it in plastic. They then quoted us a little under $300 for shipping. Perfect we thought. So that's exactly what we did. We then paid the $10 to have the item picked up. The next day the driver refused to take it, stating that it need to be boxed! But of course we did not get our $10 fee back!

So, then we box it. We first strapped it to an inch thick plywood base and then placed it inside a heavy duty box, with much cushion (including bubble wrap heavy cardboard, multi-layered packing strips approx 3" thick, etc) surrounding it. Paid another $10 and this time the UPS driver accepted it.

Sadly this beautiful Antique Art Nouveau cast iron fireplace from 1896 was badly damaged before arriving to the buyer. It looks as though some sort of machinery went completely through the package!

So of course I filed a claim, after all I did pay for insurance! My buyer, being extremely helpful, supplied UPS with a written description of packaging and damage as well as multiple photographs.

And guess what... Yep, UPS has denied my claim! Stating inadequate packaging and that they are not liable for the damage!

Product or Service Mentioned: Ups Delivery Service.

Reason of review: Problem with delivery.

I didn't like: Being misled, Being dismissed, Mishandling of package and refusal to pay insurance claim.

Comments