Additional Fees
Insurance Quality

I wanted to ship a keyboard through UPS, so bought a packaging box from UPS store, packed it in bubble wrap and packed it securely for delivery to my grand daughter.They charged me for special handling(put "Fragile" sticker on it) because of the size and its contents; also charged me for its declared value of $1500.

Lo and behold it was damaged on the way, so when my grand daughter opened it, there were loose screws in the box, couple of keys were broken and when plugged in, it did not work. I complained to UPS and demanded the insurance compensation. They had a third party outsourced firm get in touch with me. The company could not be bothered to come and inspect.

Instead they asked me to send pictures of the damaged item, which I did. After receiving them, they denied the claim. When I contacted UPS to question their denial, the rep told me that the item was not packed according to their specs and the fact that we charge you for special handling and ask you to declare the value( for which there is a separate charge) is only for informational purpose; it does not mean it is insured.When I questioned about how they could determine that it was not packed properly (also that too only from pictures), the guy said that I should have consulted their website about packaging instructions. To that I replied, the receiving agent did not question who packed it, how was it packed, did I check their website to meet packing requirements?

Nothing. Just took in the shipment and various charges. All this was even more necessary because when she asked me for its value and charged me extra for that, in addition to the regular shipping and special handling charge, I had every reason to believe that it is insured. I was told that if I wanted to challenge the denial I should get the UPS store I shipped from file a claim.

The store filed the claim which was again denied. So all in all, UPS not only misrepresents what they are charging for, their agents do not provide information or advise customers to consult their website for their their specifications and requirements for packing items for shipment. Above all, the additional charges are misrepresented as coverage for damages enroute, when in fact, based on their denial, they are not.

The fact that UPS mishandles packages including the ones marked "Fragile" was caught on camera and broadcast on ABC World News in its prime time evening news on December 18, 2016.This gives a real cause for concern on how UPS packages are handled and in the case in point, there is every reason believe that the package did not get the care and proper handling it deserved especially when you see screws lying around loose within the packaging.

Review about: Ups Claim.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Had an Experience with Ups?

Comments