I ordered an item from Amazon this past memorial weekend.I paid extra for expedited shipping.

The package showed up at my local ups warehouse on Wednesday. I have arrangements with my local ups to deliver to my neighbor who is always home (I live alone and am seldom home when ups comes). The driver (a substitute) did not do as the instructions indicated, instead he left a delivery notice. Today, the driver again did not do as the instructions stated, but left a delivery notice.

I called the 800 ups number....received a call back from Katie at my local ups, but was on the other line. Katie left a message saying that in order for me to have my delivery taken to the neighbor, there would have to be special arrangements...the driver wouldn't just know to do that. When she called back a couple hours later, I told her that I did in fact have "special arrangements" and my normal driver had recently shown me that any driver would see the notice to deliver to the neighbors house come up on the handheld computer upon delivery. Katie looked on her computer and realized that I was correct (Katie should have looked on her computer for this information before she ever called me).

Her only "solution" was to redeliver the next day (third attempt). I asked her if the roles were reversed, would she think this was an acceptable solution to the problem. After All, I had paid for expedited shipping and thru the drivers inattention to detail, my package was going to be 3 DAYS LATE! That's longer than the shipping was supposed to take in the first place.

Anyway, her answer was ambivalent...almost like it was my fault that the driver didn't look at his computer upon making a delivery attempt. Poor management and a poor customer service call by Katie. Is customer retention not important to ups? Are you such a big company, with such a corner on the delivery business that you don't need to worry about customer service?

I'm VERY disappointed....I get several packages per week, but I think I'll be insisting on alternative carriers from now on.

Review about: Ups Delivery Service.

Had an Experience with Ups?

Comments

Boston, Massachusetts, United States #659688

That happened to me to just recently.Through Amazon ordered a few items this past week.

Paid them extra for 2 day shipping. They came but needed a signature. So next attempt was between hours no one is home.

I emailed UPS seeing if they can come AFTER 3:15 PM or even AFTER 5 PM to which Blair said they don't come at specific times.

If she read the email she would notice I wasn't asking for specific time just anytime after. Even wrote a note and put it on door to verify to driver no one is home until after that time. Please deliver it after 5 PM next day. I get a post it for next day between 10:30-2 PM.

Apparently it doesn't matter for the customers.Amazon needs a new delivery service!

Richardson, Texas, United States #658698

So, have it sent to your neighbors address with your name on it in the future ?

Avoids any special instructions being missed !

Orlando, Florida, United States #658470

UPS runs an ad that suggests a customer can arrange a reasonable delivery time.Evidently, this refers to a "My Choice" plan that charges fees.

UPS conveniently leaves that caveat out of their ad.

This is not a company that I will use for delivery.Nor will I purchase from any future vendors that do not allow me an alternative delivery company.