Adelanto,California

I went to UPS store #5055 in Victorville California to mail a laptop to Canada on Jun 22, 2015 and paid $54.02. I then traveled to Europe, returned on July 11 (Saturday) only to receive a message on my phone that the party I mailed the laptop to refused to pay $138.64 import tax. Therefore I should either pay the tax or pay $52.73 to have the laptop returned to me. The message was left on Jul 3.

I went to the store on Monday Jul 13 to explain to them that the laptop is a personal used item that I'm shipping back to Canada where it came from to begin with and I shouldn't have to pay import tax. Furthermore, if the mailer (UPS) had told me it would incur tax, I wouldn't bother mailing it. I was told my message would be delivered to the manager.

After waiting for some day and didn’t hear anything from the manager, I gave them a call again on 7/20 and the manager told me the package had gone into abandonment on Jul 7 and I would have to pay about $153 to get it out, and another $52.73 to mail it back to me. First of all, how is a laptop deemed abandoned after only four business days and one notice - Jul 3 when they call first me to July 7?

I emailed the laptop receipt to prove it was originally bought in Canada. After a lot of phone calls to UPS International, UPS Customer service, Canadian customs, and back-and-forth with the manager of store #5505, the owner of the store finally agreed to pay half and I pay half to get the laptop out of abandonment and delivered to the addresses in Canada. I paid $65.50. In other words, even though Canadian customs no longer charged me for import fee, UPS still managed to extract a total of $119.52 to ship a laptop from California to Toronto Canada!

I will never patronize UPS again, and I will spread word of their bad business practices!

Reason of review: Order processing issue.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Aug 14, 2015.

Comments