1.8
Insurance Quality

In December I shipped a package via UPS to our home while we were on vacation, timing it to arrive after our return. There were a number of items in it, including some resin Christmas ornaments that were double boxed, padded and wrapped in a box, surrounded by padding inside the shipping box.

When the box arrived, it had been handled very roughly. One corner was badly bashed, and two items were broken in the inner box, which showed no damage itself. The impact had broken the ornaments. I filed a damage claim because we had insured the shipment.

It is now five weeks since we opened the claim, and I looked up the status online on www.ups.com. This was a waste of effort because you can't get any information, even with the tracking number. The claim appeared to be stuck, with the investigation marked as complete, but no further processing occurred. I phoned them, and after wandering through telephone *** for a while, I ultimately found a person who said I needed to call the store WHERE I SHIPPED IT!

They had my contact information, my address, my info from when I made the shipment, all of which was the exact same data, and I'm supposed to call a store several states away. The number they gave me was a wrong number, to boot. I called the number on the receipt and after two tries, the phone was picked up. It's a UPS store, so they are helping customers as well as doing the shipping, answering the phone, etc.

I don't fault them for that, but I was totally ready to redial that number all afternoon if that was what it took to get an answer. The nice lady that answered got some information and is looking into it. My claim isn't a huge one, but now it's a Cause. If they were going to deny it, they can contact me and tell me so.

Instead they just decided to let it go away. I don't go away. I get even. So here I am on social media, and my next stop is Yelp.

I think I can find a couple of other places to place reviews. So the upshot of this, don't ship stuff via UPS. When I've had occasional insurance claims with the post office, I get resolution in just a few days. I ship a lot of stuff for eBay transactions.

All that goes through the post office, and they've been good to me. UPS has been polite, but useless. I was considering shipping our luggage on future trips to make travel easier, sending it ahead to the hotel where it would be waiting.

I'm not going to do that now. Future shipments will go via USPS or the other guys, FedEx Ship Center.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ups Delivery Service.

I liked: Store employees, Item arrived on schedule.

I didn't like: Delayed processing of damage claim, Shipment abused in transit resulting in damage claim, Claim initiated by phone then left in limbo, Referred to original store where i shipped items, Lack of contact with me regarding claim.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jan 23.

Comments