I waited for a desk delivery until 5:15 p.m. on 05/30. The UPS truck sat at the corner from at 4 p.m., so I called UPS to see when I could expect delivery; they could offer no help and couldn't ascertain if it was even on that truck.

The UPS rep I spoke to said I could pick it up, but I explained it's a 90-lb desk being delivered and I don't have a car and couldn't possibly carry it on my own up and down subway stairs.

I explained to the rep that my shift in Manhattan starts at 5 p.m., and I could no longer wait. (Of course, I received a text notification when I arrived at work that UPS attempted delivery at 5:50 p.m., so it had indeed been on that truck.) I asked what the best solution was, given that it seems common that UPS delivers later in the day, when I'm at work. She said they could leave it at a leasing office (we don't have those in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn) or with a neighbor (which I don't know any of mine except for the crazy man upstairs who threw away another neighbor's laundry cart when left out accidentally one afternoon).

After all that, she recommended I sign up online for MyChoice, which costs $40 but would enable me to narrow down deliveries to a 4-hour time frame. I was relieved by this, and signed up immediately. However, I found out the next day from another UPS rep that I couldn't apply that service to this package, only future deliveries.

So, the next best choice was that I pay $5 to postpone the delivery until my next day off, 06/04. That's today. It's now 7:45 p.m., and no delivery. The truck stopped directly in front of my building about an hour ago, attempted two deliveries at neighboring buildings, then left. I was shocked, so I called UPS to find my package. The rep says it could be on another truck, the same story I got last time. I told the rep that I'd been waiting patiently all day during the 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. delivery times, but the rep said they don't stop delivering at 7 p.m. and could very well deliver any time after that. She can't tell me if it's on this truck. She can't tell me when I can expect delivery. She can't get a supervisor on the phone. Most likely, this 90-lb ergonomic desk that I desperately need (I'm a writer with back problems thanks to years of waiting tables) and invested a great deal of money on will be returned to the manufacturer in Arizona, because so many have dropped the ball in this one seemingly simple task.

I've lived in New York for 5 years now, yet I still don't understand how, in a major city such as this, getting a simple delivery is so difficult.

P.S. In two previous package deliveries, the building buzzer was broken (it has since been fixed), so I would leave notes on the door asking the delivery man to call my phone so I could come down and accept. The first time, the UPS guy ignored the note, didn't call and left the Missed Delivery slip right next to my note. When I called UPS, the rep said they didn't require the drivers to carry cell phones--which may be true, though I don't know too many people who don't have cell phones on them at all times--so as a solution, I asked the rep to put a notation that the delivery man could even shout out, "UPS!" My apartment is directly above the building front door, and I keep all three windows open and could hear them. I even posted a new note saying that. So, the next day, I just happened to look out my window in the afternoon, and I see the UPS delivery man leaving my courtyard, package in hand. I ran downstairs, yelled out to him, and when he came back, I signed for the package. When I asked him why he didn't call me or yell out as the note requested, he said he couldn't call me because he was on a personal phone call. He showed me a text that he'd sent, which of course was to the wrong number. Why he didn't announce that he was outside is beyond reason. This company doesn't have any clue of customer service or even how to deliver.

Had an Experience with Ups?

Comments

Kansas City, Missouri, United States #661921

The fault here is that UPS does not supply drivers with company cell phones, the driver is under no obligaion to use personal cell phone for company business, especially when the company pays no part of the bill.