3.0

This past Wednesday, a package arrived at my door that had been incorrectly delivered to my address. That day, I called the UPS 800-number and told them about the situation. They told me someone would pick up the package the next day (Thursday). On Thursday, when the package still wasn't picked up, I called again, and another representative told me that it would be picked up tomorrow (Friday). When Friday came and the package still was not taken, I called for a third time and explained this to them. They said they didn't know why I was told that the package would be picked up the next day, because the return request wasn't even processed yet and the package likely wasn't going to be picked up until the next Monday.

The label was already damaged by the sun, it was due to rain tomorrow, and the package looked like it might contain medication, so I did not want the person that the package was intended for to need to wait that long and have the package be ruined, so I asked the representative if it would make more sense for me to just bring the package to the UPS store. She said that would be faster, so we agreed that she would cancel the return request and I would bring the package to the UPS store that evening.

All of the phone representatives were kind and courteous.

When I went to the UPS store, I was told that they could not help me, and I would need to contact the 800-number that I already called three times. She would not let me explain the situation, and just asked "do you want the 800-number or not?"

A customer next to me asked what the issue was, and I explained the above (which I was not able to do to the representative because she wouldn't let me). The store representative overheard me and said they would take it just this once, but made it clear that she was doing me a favor and not to expect to do this on a regular basis.

Now, remember, I have nothing to do with this package. I am neither the sender nor the intended recipient. I am trying to do both the intended recipient and UPS a favor by returning it. I could have just thrown the package away or let it sit until Monday and let UPS receive a complaint from the recipient that they never received their package or that the contents were ruined. I haven't been to the UPS store in over two years. I don't do this on a regular basis, and I was trying to be helpful. Between the phone calls, being on hold, driving to and from the store, and waiting in line, I've spent a couple hours this week on this package and will get nothing in return. I understand that you might not take these returns on a regular basis, but there is no need to be rude to me about it and act like I'm being an inconvenience. I may have been given incorrect information by the representative, but that is not my fault.

From this experience, I have two suggestions:

1. Make sure the phone representatives are all on the same page. If the request was still pending, I should not have been told on two separate occasions that they were processed and someone was coming tomorrow. They were all kind and courteous, but they should know whether an order is processed or not, and they should know whether or not I can return a package to the store.

2. UPS representatives in the store need to be courteous and helpful, even if they cannot provide the requested service, particularly, I think, when someone is going out of their way to be helpful. I'm not getting anything out of this. The least you could do is not be rude to me.

Preferred solution: See review for suggestions.

I liked: Phone representatives being courteous.

I didn't like: Different answers from different reps, Rude representatives in store.

Comments