i had 3 packages shipped by a professional packaging store (authorized UPS shipper) containing my deceased grandmother's belongings that have a lot of sentimental value.we insured $1000 per package.

2 packages arrived together and all items in perfect condition. 1 package came with many broken items. this was towards the end of december 2011. the shipper started the claim.

i submitted photos of broken items and a professional estimate of the total cost of fixing them $550. early january a local inspector also came to look at the packaging and took photos. i went out of country for 3 weeks. when i returned at the end of january i contacted the shipper to see how the claim is going (since UPS would only deal with shipper and not the receipient).

he told me the UPS rep told him the claim cannot be found and we have to start the claim over again. UNBELIEVABLE! i have to resubmit the photos and the estimates again. after much back and forth, the shipper finally notified me that the claim has gone through and just need to process all the paper work and was told to allow 2-3 weeks.

today 2/29 i called the shipper again to see how things are going. he said that UPS in reneging on the claim that was approved. UPS is requiring the shipper to submit documentation of how much similar items would cost on ebay, if we were to purchase them new. i was furious.

those broken items are things that are passed down from the family. one in particular is over 100 year old. a lampstand that was used by my great grandparents when they were missionaries in japan. my point is these items are irreplaceble.

i called the only UPS i was given when UPS called to set up appointment to inspect the damage. i was told by the rep that they cannot tell me anything since they only deal with the shipper. i asked if ther is a customer complaint hotline. i was told there is NONE!

unbelievable.

so how does UPS gauge its performance if there is mechanism for customer feedback?at this point i don't know if the claim would get reapproved again?

Had an Experience with Ups?

Comments