Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

UPS destroyed my computer and refuses to fix it

I was moving back home from Vancouver, WA and shipped a very expensive computer used for 3D Animation. I declared the value of the computer, and although I was a little hesitant as the woman at the UPS store seemed like she was in training, I paid the 200.00 shipping fee and flew back home to Missouri. Upon delivery the boxes corners were smashed in, the foam peanuts were 6 inches from the top of the box, and the tape was barely hanging on. When I removed the computer I heard something rattling inside, which was both Hard Drives broken loose from the rails and had been bouncing around destroying the motherboard and Video Card. Upon calling UPS they wanted me to get a 3rd party estimate on repair which I did. The total came to $1,394.16 which replaced the hardware, recovered data on the hard drives, and the labor. 3 weeks later UPS is saying that the data recovery, which was quoted right around $600.00 for both drives, is not covered and they refuse to pay it. So I have been out of work for 3 weeks and they are not wanting to fix the package to 100%... Horrible company, as much as I hate FedEx it looks like I am going there instead from now on.
Nick1346

Let me assess the situation. Did The UPS Store pack it or did you.

I am assuming you, as you said you paid the "shipping fee" no mention of packing.

If the store packed it and you insured it for the total value of $1400, then you're covered. I'd expect about a month and a half before you receive the settlement check, but you're covered. If the hard drives were damaged, then you're entitled to a new one.

However, they don't have to pay for data recovery as I'm assuming this is your complaint. Files don't cost anything! They damaged property, not invisible data!!!

I understand your being upset, but why didn't you back up your data on an external hard drive and take that with you in your luggage? The same goes with FedEx and the USPS!!!

@Nick1346

excuse me, but data definitely has value. it's not system files, which can be restored and reinstalled; it's someone's animation creations. it is a result of their own work and has assessable value and that's real assessable damage. however it's true that it's best to create backups and take them with you physically when you move.

still, ups did not pay the true value of what ups mishandled and destroyed: it has a replacement cost that they are failing to supply. it is possibly, entirely their fault; unless the pc was not anchored properly in the box. packing peanuts alone will not necessarily do it as pc's are heavy.

if there was any statement of coverage up to your stated loss amount, they are liable. though maybe not if there was no statement of coverage that would include your entire amount. if they only covered your item up to a certain dollar amount, that is their limit and they don't have to pay more.

but if the coverage was a higher amount and your value loss fits within it, the customer should talk to an attorney and pursue it that way. attorneys do not charge anything up front for lawsuits to recover value. they charge after they win, make sure you get that in writing though. make sure they will charge the ups company their attorney fees as well.

@madam1

Please trust me when I saw I entirely understand and agree with both UPS and the customer. But the contract that he signed when he shipped it specifically states what's covered and what's not when it comes to UPS's "Declared Value" (aka Insurance,) data and documents are not covered. If UPS loses a contract that's got $10,000 on the line, and UPS loses it, they are only to be reimbursed for the cost of the paper. So basically 20 cents, even if the package was insured for the $10,000. I am talking law here, not what's right and wrong in a perfect world.

They damaged property. He is to be reimbursed for the property. I'll say it again, DATA HAS NO PHYSICAL VALUE!!! It's invisible, you can't reach out and break it! Data is just like a thought! Yes, when put into a physical item, it is worth something, until then, it's worth nothing.

If you are trying to place blame on The UPS Store, he's even MORE out of luck. The contract (PSO) is quite possibly the best contract ever written by lawyers, it takes ALL liability away from the store. Even if they did pack it wrong.

I feel bad for the guy, but that's why you should never trust anyone, I've shipped my computer twice before and nothing ever happened (I packed it myself at my UPS Store where I work as I would any customers computer) and nothing ever happened. Once with my desktop PC and once my laptop. Every time I backed it up on my external hard drive AND online.

If he didn't do that, he's quite unfortunately out of luck.

@Nick1346

I'm not stating that the data has any value, I am stating that the cost of recovering said data is $300 per drive.

As far as a invisible property is concerned there is such a thing as Intellectual Property which considers thoughts and intangible material as property. So yes, it does have value. Maybe not according to UPS but federal law supersedes that.

Considering that the store representative never brought this up and after speaking to the store manager himself after he admitted that the UPS reimbursement was wrong and that they should cover the full repair cost.

The data itself is backed up, although not as a ghost file, so I am still losing time from my actual job by having to repair the computer myself. The original point remains, UPS is a horrible company.

View more comments (3)
Tags
  • broken

UPS in Chicago, Illinois - Pick up service

U.P.S. left an attempted delivery Friday Aug.9, 2013. A follow up delivery was scheduled for Monday Aug.12 2013. I contacted a U.P.S. customer service rep by phone Aug.12, approx 8:30 A.M. I sat in my front room for 12 hrs waiting for the pick up. I called U.P.S. again 8/12/13, 7:15 P.M..A recording tell me an an attempted delivery had be attempted at 12:30 P.M. No attempted delivery notice was posted on my property, nor was one in my yard. I don't have the time to waste with U.P.S.My time is as valuable as your drivers. U.P.S.InfoNotice #9352 9050 868 4
Nick1346

Why would you sit around for two days waiting for UPS to come and pay $10 for a pick-up? If your time is so *** important, why wouldn't you drop it off at a UPS Store or any UPS drop-off location? For free even!!!!

Ups Pick Up Service

UPS in Stone Mountain, Georgia - Overnight phone shipped

I called my mobile carrier after dropping my phone in the water to get a new one, I pay a extra 30$ for overnight shipping, I was at my office at 8 and they came by at 930 and left a note that I had to pick it up, they didnt even knock or ring so I could sign, I called them gave them the claim number, they said they would call me with in a hour when the driver was back and they didnt call within a 2 hours, I re called and they said they will call me within a hour. They failed to do that. Now I have to wait till tommorow to get my package if the *** knows how to ring the doorbell, Wasted 30$ for overnight shipping and I needed the phone for buisness, I will never use UPS again, and you should either

UPS - Delivery Problems

A couple of shipments were not delivered to my address, although their records show they had been delivered. You know, I can see where people screw up, but twice in like two months to the same wrong address is just dumb. Both times the elderly gentleman who received the wrong packages was kind enough to drive in his car to deliver the package. He knew where to deliver because he could read the label and the UPS driver could not. The last package he brought me he rang the doorbell like 10 times with that not-so-happy cadence. So, I'm trying to not order stuff which involves UPS. I called Amazon and they said they were sorry and that they would forward my note to UPS. Don't expect any action there. I think UPS is so big and so automated and so full of quotas that it is now a big bureaucracy.

UPS might have tried to deliver to your address, and you did not answer the doorbell ?

(after all your neighbor had to ring it 10 times) the drivers don't have time to wait around for a person to finally come to the door !

UPS in Ottawa, Ontario - 11$ for box, worst service ever- priceless

UPS associate in the Bank and Hunt Club in-store location gave as little information as possible leading to me purchasing a 11$ box that was oversized and likely to damage my expensive unit inside because it was bouncing around. The only thing she said was, "you can insure for loss, not damage because you will need more packaging." "Your box will not be able to be shipped as is you need to purchase a box." She wouldn't shuffle between those two answers as if that was what she could only say. I am usually a very easy going, understanding customer but she wouldn't even tell me that the unit was bouncing around till after she taped the box and I owed her 11$ for unusable card board. ALSO, there is no complain section through the automated phone selections or on the site... They must not like criticism or even care because of how big they are. Thanks for wasting my time, money and leaving me very put off from something that did not need to be this way.

they are really bad staff. The one who suppose to print my emails didn't want to help or even do his work ..

he was concentration in playing cards in the computer in front of me.

I paid money for nothing and I told them that it's bad service but they didn't care. I'm still trying to make a complain.

Nana

Nick1346

Yes, you are quite ***. The UPS STORE associate sold you a good box assuming you will purchase packaging materials!!!

Why wouldn't you? You need packing materials. You can't send the box inside by itself because it isn't a shipping box, nor would the Styrofoam inserts protect it from damage.

(assuming it's an appliance or electronic) Also UPS Store employees are not UPS employees. (Just a fact!!)

View more comments (1)
Ups Customer Care
Tags
  • no complaint section

UPS in Mary Esther, Florida - Change delivery address

I have spent the last four or five days trying here and on my phone to change my delivery address....YOU do have THE most unfriendly website that it has ever been my bad luck to have contact with.... Re: tracking # 1Z1824630341089442.....I want that delivery sent to my local UPS STORE...address: Sheryl aka Sunshine Yeiser 550 Mary Esther Cutoff NW Suite 18, UPS Store # 2135, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548....They know me very well as ''Sunshine'', at this UPS Store and they receive and hold my packages at their location all of the time.....Please after four or five days of my entreaties to YOU here on YOUR website and on the phone with YOUR Customer Service people. please make this happen for me.....This is very IMPORTANT to me, please send me an email to : traavelagent2@cox.net verifying that YOU are going to honour my request....Thank YOU ever so much, in advance for YOUR help and assistance in this matter..... Sheryl aka Sunshine Yeiser

It would help if your sent your concerns to UPS, as on this website no one is going to be able to assist you.

You may as well have walked into a convention and strated demanding the folks there take care of your problem with UPS.

Nick1346

YOU are so ***. I hope YOU realize that YOU are posting this on a public forum.

This website isn't to write a letter to companies. Also, if YOU frequent this UPS Store then YOU should realize that YOU have to pay to have a package rerouted to a totally separate address.

sessa

No problem, we'll get right on that. Consider.

it. done.

UPS in Andalusia, Alabama - Repeated delivery failures

Today I waited all day for delivery of 2 toner cartridges only to check tracking to find my "out for delivery" package would not be delivered due to "conditions beyond their control". I'll loose another days work because of their screw up. The Enterprise location has screwd up so many of my deliveries it's not even funny. Once I had to go from house to house to find a long gun left on someones porch, without even a signature! A kid coulda picked it up. I've had to go to their location and pick up heavy equipment because their dumb *** drivers can't read a letter on the door. Over and over again this *** happens. If it has my name on the package they *** it up somehow. Funny thing they can find me when my husbands medication is being delivered.

UPS in Lodi, New Jersey - Terrible Delivery Service

Ups driver refused to deliver my baby crib to my apartment,with excuse that he is only one man and left the ripped package on the steps halfway to the apartment. As soon as he closed the door with a major attitude the crib slipped down the steps and collided into the front door,blocking the entrance. At 37 weeks pregnant,I am stuck inside the house,not able to move the crib or even see in what condition it is. "Amazing customer service"! I have never ever complained about anything before,but this human being (politely addressing to the driver) has crossed every line. Will pursue this matter as far as I have to.

UPS should change its name to 'drop and run ' my block has alot of deliveries and their one lady who is retired and TRIES to catch the ups driver before it because a joke--she'll see them coming and they still drop in gardens --on a open front porch so anyone can pick and rum with delivery--on the box even says signature required and boy is that a joke again--fed ex drivers and see and read -maybe the brown uniforms have are a run as fa st as possible theme--- uptown new orleans

@tctctc

WTF do you think they're supposed to do? Sit there and wait 5 minutes for an old lady to get up and walk to the door when they're NOT being paid for a signature.

Simply writing signature required won't do anything. To have a Signature Required costs about $5 extra. People complain if they don't complete delivery and leave a door tag and people complain if they drop it and run.

People can't be pleased!!! FedEx drivers are just the same.

Nick1346

Please people, get over yourselves! Why do you expect the driver to go above and beyond what they are being paid for?

Because you're pregnant he should take it in your house and assemble it for you?! As for the tear in the box, that's because it wasn't a sturdy box! And also, he IS only one man, they're not supposed to handle something heavier than 70 pounds by themselves! UPS may get sued!

Something 70+ pounds must be carried by two people! You're lucky he took it even half-way up the stairs.

Also, delivering to apartments has always been a problem.

Usually, most boxes are delivered to the main office. It depends on how the apartment complex handles it.

Review

Once UPS has your money they do as they please not promised!

I dilivered a packeage for Sat. delivery yet was never told that the package was not deliverable in that area till Sat. when it didn't show up! Then a supervisor promise over the phone they would get it there Mon. morning first thing! THAT WAD A LIE!!! I'm now being told that it will be delivered after 6pm where as I had a dead line to meet and that is why I paid for the service for Sat. delivery. UPS is really a rip off and there dispatch in BHM (vicky ) was rude and has no consideration for a cliants situation as long as they have there money!!! I recommend FED-EX to all they are the way to go. I have had three mis-haps with UPS and they are not trust worthy at all. Ms. P
Nick1346

Ooohhh. I knew that would happen at some point! And I can only imagine what was "bleeped" out by the system in asterisks.

Nick1346

First of: *delivered, *promised, *WAS, *their, *mishaps (one word, no hyphen.)

Now, it is correct that they may not know if they can deliver to a specific area until it is actually in the nearest hub. This is because the USA is a pretty big place!

Was it ever delivered? Regardless you will get a refund! Whether it was delivered late or not delivered at all, you will get a refund.

This is unless the address was typed incorrectly or you were prompted a warning that said the address is undeliverable! Sometimes they do know in advance and if so, they will prompt you!

@Nick1346

Funny you had to point that reviewer's typos, when you can't even spell "off" correctly. What a ***.

UPS in Madison, Wisconsin - What apprears to be Theft

UPS Sucks! I was returning on order to a ventder and the package that I shipped showed back up on my doorstep a week after I sent it without any of the product that was in the box present. On the box was a tag stating refused, return to sender. The box was still taped and the stuffing used was still in the box. I called the company and asked why the refused it and they stated that they never recieved it. UPS states that the box was damaged. Not even close!!!! The box was in tack and believe it or not , without any damage. Their system requires a driver to fill out a damage goods report if there is damage and there was no report. They then stated that the box must have came open, and that they have a LOST AND FOUND area for just this instance. I agreed to have them look, just in case the box had come open the product would be in there. Well as you guess its not there. This leads me to my conclusion that the product was stolen from the box. UPS SUPPORT THEIR EMPLOYEES TO BE THEIVES and claims that this is damaged goods. This sure sounds like insurance fraud to me, but when you own your own insurance company you can protect your bottom line by denying things all day. I have spent almost a week trying to talk to representative and they all just give these pre-canned answers, I do have a phone number for customer relations at Corporate HQ and will post it for anyone who wants it. Funny thing is as I fighting this claim another box I recieved was damaged and the shipper , rather than filling a claim said that theyd just send another than try and work with UPS. jon from wisconsin